Sunday, August 5, 2018

Journey to Lancaster

IMG_0451

About seven years ago, I had a dream. A dream to go to Lancaster County and see the Amish Community. My mom and I cherished the novels that were set in the country side of the Amish community. After being on my bucket list for all these years, the opportunity presented itself to go and better still to serve there. We volunteered with an organization call GAIN or Global Aid Network. They ship supplies such as food, clothing, shoes, blankets, and school supplies over seas and then CRU distributes it and after meeting those needs, they have the opportunity to touch lives with the Gospel of Jesus.

quilt

We made quilts to give away! https://www.gainusa.org 

Pictures of Lancaster Countryside

IMG_0460

IMG_0419

IMG_0425

In the distance is a teenage boy plowing the field the old fashioned way with horses.

IMG_0428

Carriage tour going down the road.

IMG_0431

The local Cemetery.

IMG_0434

IMG_0436

IMG_0439


IMG_0466

Tips for Eating Out:

lancaster3

The first big tourist place to stop would be the Central Market. You can walk through an entire indoor market of local farmers and artisans. There were Amish people selling quilted items and best of all the warm homemade pretzel I am holding below.

lancaster1lancaster2lancaster4

The second place I would highly recommend is the Bird-in-Hand restaurant and getting their buffet. I would suggest to go at lunch as the price is lower. What I really loved was that the local Amish had their food in the buffet along with little signs by the food telling you which farm produced the food.

https://bird-in-hand.com/dining/bird-in-hand-family-restaurant-smorgasbord/ 

I hope you enjoyed this article and get the chance to go yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment