Monday, June 22, 2009

A caterpillar that looks like a bear?

IMG_0603

My mom found this caterpillar crawling along the road. Look at how big it is compared to the size of my mom’s hand! I have been trying to figure out what kind of caterpillar it is and I think it might be a salt marsh caterpillar. This will be my very first moth to raise.

IMG_0601

I put some Maple tree leaves and a dandelion inside to see which one it would eat. It went straight for the dandelion and is feasting on it. The one I put inside had a purple flower. These caterpillars are great to have because they eat weeds and are a pleasure to watch.

IMG_0609

So many people pull out every weed they find hiding in their yard. Next time you are tempted to get out your weed killing spray consider who’s lunch you might be snatching. Some “weeds” serve as food for beautiful butterflies and some moths.

IMG_0610

No comments:

Post a Comment