Friday, April 19, 2013

Elizabeth’s Secret Garden’s Book


                             book cover

Since the butterfly season is here again, I wanted to share a brief look into a book on butterflies I wrote. My book describes the life cycles of 10 North American butterfly species including the Monarch, Queen, Cloudless Sulphur, White Peacock, and more. Each butterfly in the book I’ve raised and documented  the life cycle with pictures of the egg, caterpillar, chrysalis, and butterfly. It includes several tours of butterfly gardens and conservatories.  It also explains how to raise butterflies using inexpensive, readily found supplies. My book Includes photos from my personal photography with detailed descriptions of butterflies, host plants, common butterfly diseases, predators, and helpful facts. It has been purchased by teachers as a study guide. My goal in writing this book, is to educate people about butterflies and how they can raise them so we can increase the butterfly population that is struggling from habitat lose and threat from pesticides.

 Gulf fritillary life cycle

polydamas life cycle

My book also includes funny experiences I’ve had while raising butterflies. This page shows a Polydamas Swallowtail caterpillar that made its chrysalis on top of another chrysalis. Another funny moment depicted above is one of my caterpillar dangling by a silk strand that one of the larger caterpillars spun. The little caterpillar then climbed off safely afterwards. I believe that learning can be enjoyable by incorporating fun and memorable moments.

Hope you enjoyed this sneak peek into my book. To purchase or like my book go to:  https://www.createspace.com/4083202

No comments:

Post a Comment