Sunday, August 9, 2009

My Trip To The University of Florida’s Butterfly Rainforest

IMG_1074

While in Gainesville, my family got to visit the University of Florida. They have the biggest collection of preserved butterflies in the world.

IMG_1073

These are some big moths! The biggest is bigger than my hand!

IMG_1072

I also got to see some interesting bugs. Look at that huge beetle in the middle! Can you find the insect that looks like a leaf?

IMG_1082

I really like this butterfly. It reminds me of a rainbow. Look how the colors shimmer when hit by the light.

IMG_1078

The University of Florida purchases chrysalises from different countries and Shady Oaks Butterfly Farm for their Butterfly Rainforest. This is the room where they emerge.

IMG_1080IMG_1097 

Inside The Butterfly Rainforest

Joshua Becomes a Butterfly

IMG_1088 

Oh, No! Joshua the caterpillar is being eaten by a giant spider!

IMG_1087 

IMG_1089

We all enjoyed going through this special exhibit at The University of Florida. I think Joshua really enjoyed flying like a Monarch, but I’m sure he's glad to be on the ground again!

Note: The Florida Museum and Art Gallery at the University of Florida are free. There is a charge to enter the Butterfly Rainforest. http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/butterflies/

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for doing this website Elizabeth!
    You do some cool things, good luck!

    ReplyDelete